The attorneys at Chenhalls Nissen, S.C. understand the specialized immigration needs of physicians and other medical professionals. We represent doctors, nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, and other medical professionals seeking to live and practice in the United States. We work with individual clients on strategies that best serve the personal and professional needs of each client’s situation. We facilitate the processes necessary to allow them to work at hospitals, private medical practices, and research facilities in Wisconsin and throughout the country.
Attorneys Kelley Chenhalls and Jennifer Nissen are committed to providing physicians and medical professionals with experienced legal counsel and creative, cost-effective solutions for both short-term and long-term immigration needs. Because our firm focuses exclusively on immigration law with years of experience in facilitating the unique processes required for physicians we can guide clients efficiently and knowledgeably through the complexities of these processes.
Immigration Options and Services for Physicians
Chenhalls Nissen’s immigration services for physicians, medical professionals, and their employers include:
- J-1 Waivers: Our attorneys assist foreign nationals in obtaining the requisite waiver of the two-year home residence requirement, including waivers based on persecution, hardship, no objection, or an interested governmental agency (IGA) filing, such as a Conrad or HHS waiver.
- H-1B Status: We guide clients on managing the timing of H-1B filings, extensions, and maximum periods of stay, whether that is a physician just starting residency training, or someone accepting a staff position after a fellowship. Our attorneys manage the details of deadlines and strategy to maximize our clients’ employment authorization time.
- O-1 Status: O-1 Status for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability can be a useful category if a medical professional has run out of time on an H-1B visa, or cannot get a needed J-1 waiver. At Chenhalls Nissen, S.C. we can help review your eligibility for O-1 status, and assist you with the process of filing the petition to request this specialized classification.
- Permanent Residence Sponsorship: We strategize with both the foreign national and the employer to determine the best means of applying for permanent residence, taking into account a variety of factors such as the timing of a physician’s training, plans for future training, etc. We review a number of options for permanent residence, such as:
- EB-1(a) for those with extraordinary ability;
- EB-1(b) for outstanding professors/researchers;
- Labor Certification (PERM) for positions sponsored by an employer willing to test the labor market;
- National Interest Waiver (NIW) petitions filed either to assert the national importance of one’s proposed endeavor, or for a physician who agrees to work for five years in an underserved area.
Each client’s needs and situation are unique, and we review all of the options and take into account the specific issues of each person’s situation before deciding on the best strategy to pursue permanent residence with our clients.
Experienced Immigration Attorneys for Physicians
Chenhalls Nissen, S.C., based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, assists foreign nationals and medical employers in the United States with their immigration and visa needs. Attorneys Kelley Chenhalls and Jennifer Nissen have concentrated their practice primarily in the area of employment-based immigration law for well over a decade, with a particular focus in the area of immigration for physicians and medical professionals.
We offer our clients up-to-date guidance on visa and immigration law and take pride in our dedicated, personal service and responsiveness to our clients’ needs. We invite you to learn more about our team, our services, and to contact Chenhalls Nissen to schedule a consultation. We look forward to working with you.